Could your organization benefit from high employee engagement, efficiency, and increased productivity? The obvious answer is ‘yes’. A good way to achieve these outcomes and many other benefits is through dedicated Organizational Development (OD).
OD is the practice of planned, systemic change in the beliefs, attitudes, and values of employees for individual and business growth. OD aims to enable an organization to respond better and adapt to industry/market changes and technological advances. Those organizations that successfully implement OD tenants often exhibit higher levels of organizational agility: successfully navigating new challenges with speed and minimal disruption.
In today’s post, we will focus on five benefits of OD, that range from continuous employee improvement to better traction towards business goals.
1. Continuous Improvement:
The OD process creates a continuous cycle of improvement whereby strategies are planned, implemented, evaluated, improved, and monitored. Organizational development is a proactive approach that embraces change (internal and external) and leverages it for renewal. Here are some ways how OD can contribute to continuous improvement:
- Diagnostic Assessment
- Goal Setting and Strategic Alignment
- Process Improvement
- Feedback and Performance Management
- Change Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Continuous Feedback Loop
2. Increased Communication:
One of the key advantages of OD is increased communication, feedback, and engagement within the organization. Improving communication aims to align all employees to shared company goals and values. Candid communication also leads to an increased understanding of the need for change within the organization. Communication is open across all levels of the organization, and relevant feedback is recurrently shared for improvement. Explorance Blue is a feedback analytics platform built to support the most popular feedback process, including surveys, 360 degree reviews, learning evaluations, and more.
3. Talent Development and Retention:
OD initiatives often include training and development programs aimed at enhancing employee skills and capabilities. By investing in employees’ growth and providing opportunities for advancement, organizations can attract and retain top talent, resulting in a more skilled and motivated workforce. Here are some ways in which OD benefits talent development and retention:
- Skill Enhancement and Learning Opportunities: By investing in employees’ growth and providing opportunities for learning and professional development, OD helps individuals expand their knowledge base and acquire new skills. This improves their performance in their current roles and prepares them for future opportunities within the organization, increasing their overall satisfaction and engagement.
- Career Advancement and Growth Pathways: By establishing frameworks for promotion, succession planning, and growth opportunities, OD provides employees with a sense of direction and a clear understanding of the potential career trajectory within the organization.
- Employee Engagement and Empowerment: OD fosters employee engagement by involving them in decision-making processes, seeking their input, and valuing their contributions. By creating a culture of empowerment, where employees have a voice and feel valued, OD enhances their sense of ownership and commitment to the organization.
- Feedback and Performance Management: OD incorporates feedback and performance management processes that provide employees with regular and constructive feedback on their performance. This feedback helps individuals understand their strengths, areas for improvement, and developmental needs.
- Work-Life Balance and Well-being: By implementing flexible work arrangements, wellness programs, and initiatives that support employees’ physical and mental health, OD demonstrates a commitment to the holistic well-being of employees.
4. Product & Service Innovation:
OD encourages employees to think outside the box and generate innovative ideas by promoting creativity, risk-taking, and a continuous improvement mindset. It focuses on breaking down silos and promoting cross-functional collaboration. OD enhances communication, knowledge sharing, and collaboration by bringing together individuals from different departments and disciplines. This collaboration allows for diverse perspectives and expertise to be integrated into the innovation process, leading to more comprehensive and innovative solutions.
OD also emphasizes the importance of meeting customer needs by incorporating customer feedback and insights into processes. It allows organizations to have a more agile mindset – essential for innovation- and promotes process improvement, risk management, experimentation, and leadership development initiatives.
5. Increased Business Success:
Through raised innovation and productivity, efficiency and profits are increased. Costs are also reduced by minimizing employee turnover and absenteeism. As OD aligns objectives and focuses on development, product/service quality and employee satisfaction are increased. The culture shift to one of continuous improvement gives the company a distinct advantage in the competitive marketplace.
Overall, OD’s benefits contribute to organizations’ long-term sustainability and success. By continuously assessing and improving organizational effectiveness, OD ensures that organizations remain adaptable, resilient, and capable of achieving their strategic objectives in a dynamic business environment.
Blue•Bluepulse•Employee insight solutions•Learning evaluations•Surveys•