In previous posts, we identified the benefits of online course evaluations, 360 feedback reviews and customer and employee surveys. One thing has become very clear: that opinions matter and that successful organizations listen to their constituents.
Regardless of the type of survey, it is critical to the development of the company or institution to obtain and act on feedback. In all organizations feedback is the springboard to continuous improvement and effectiveness. Now that we understand why feedback is so important, we need to look at the best way to gather the data. Today’s post will focus on ten key advantages that using online surveys afford.
1) Cost-efficiency: Using online surveys significantly reduces the set-up and administration costs. There is no money spent on paper, printing or postage. Money is also saved as telephone and in-person surveys are no longer necessary.
2) Saves Time: Online surveys save a lot of time and effort. Through an online feedback management system, you can quickly create, administer, collect and analyze surveys. Performing all of these functions in one integrated web system saves you a considerable amount of time.
3) Convenience: It is very easy and convenient for respondents to complete surveys online. Participants can fill out questionnaires when they choose to and start and stop a survey at their leisure. This gives control over completing the survey to the individual, which can increase engagement and response rates.
4) Accessibility: Administering your surveys through an online system increases accessibility. You can send a link to the survey via email and set-up subsequent reminders through the online feedback management system. Respondents then have a variety of ways to access the questionnaire including mobile devices, tablets, laptops, desktop computers, etc.
5) Reach & Scalability: One of the greatest advantages of using online surveys is the reach and scalability. You can send a survey to thousands of people as quickly as you can send a survey to one participant. Also you can send surveys across the globe and create questionnaires in a variety of languages.
6) Flexibility: Online surveys provide more flexibility in the design. Organization’s can quickly develop a variety of customized surveys, tailored to the target audience. Even complex evaluations, such as 360 degree feedback reviews, can be easily administered through an online feedback system. There is also great flexibility in terms of the questions that can be asked. A web-based system allows for skip navigation whereby respondents can jump over questions where they do not have an opinion.
7) Anonymity: Another important advantage of using online surveys is that they provide respondent anonymity. Once confidentiality is assured, participants feel more comfortable providing open and honest feedback. This positively impacts response and completion rates, which are key to survey success.
8) Objectivity: Online surveys add objectivity to the feedback. This is achieved by eliminating any influence on responses that may be present in telephone or in-person surveys. In some cases, the interviewer can have an effect on the responses that a respondent gives. This is eliminated through online questionnaires making the responses more valid.
9) More Accurate: The data collected through online surveys is more accurate. There have been a number of studies on this subject, which indicate that there is a much smaller margin-of-error in online surveys. This is attributed to the fact that the responses go directly to the online database rather than being manually entered by a person.
10) Quick Results: A major benefit of using online surveys is that you receive real-time results. As soon as participants have completed the questionnaire, you can view and analyze the responses. This allows an organization to analyze the feedback and quickly address any issues or concerns. Through an online feedback management system, data can quickly be tabulated and presented in a variety of report formats.
What other advantages do online surveys provide? Comment and let us know.